Mold On Food: Is Moldy Food Dangerous?

December 16, 2021
Mold On Food

Food can be spoiled by mold. Moldy food has undesirable texture and taste and can even have apparent physical changes. Some of the molds are dangerous for your body as they produce harmful toxins, which can cause respiratory problems and various allergic reactions.

What is mold?

Mold is composed of microscopic living organisms that thrive on animal and plant matters. These fungi get transported from one object to the other via air, water, or even insects. Mold has a multi-cellular structure and can be viewed with naked eyes.

What are Mycotoxins?

Certain types of mold produce a poisonous substance that can make you sick, known as Mycotoxins. These toxins are found in foods such as grains, nuts, grape juice, celery, and even apples.

What are Aflatoxins?

Aflatoxin is a type of cancer-causing poisonous substance that is found in peanuts and field corns. It is the most researched mycotoxin that is associated with several diseases like aflatoxicosis in humans and also domestic and livestock animals.

What causes mold on food?

Have you ever wondered why mold grows on food? Mold thrives on a warm and damp substance like food items. Airborne molds settle on the warm food items to grow and sustain. Often, food like cheese and bread gets contaminated with mold and can be dangerous to consume.

Types of mold on food

There are different types of molds that grow on food. Some of the most common food molds are Oidium, Penicillium, Manoscus, Fusarium, etc.

What happens if you eat moldy food?

There are times you might eat moldy food by mistake. Mold can grow deep and cause serious foodborne illnesses and other toxicities like shortness of breath, an elevated temperature, nausea, or diarrhea.

Mold on food: what you can eat and what you must avoid?

Some food items can be eaten if you cut off the mold from the item, like hard cheeses, firm veggies, and hard salami. But, there are some other food items that you must avoid when contaminated with molds, such as soft fruits and veggies, bread, cooked food, bacon, etc.

What to do with moldy food?

Never sniff or smell moldy food items and dispose of them in a covered trash can by putting them inside a small paper bag or wrapping it in plastic. Food like cheese and hard salami can be saved if you cut off at least 1 inch around and below the mold spot.

How to prevent mold on food?

Here are a few ways with which you can prevent mold on food:

  • keep the inside of your refrigerator clean and throw any spoiled food away.
  • Keep all food items covered and consume leftovers as soon as possible.
  • Keep the food that you are not eating in the refrigerator.
  • Do not keep wet sponges or mops on the kitchen cooktop. If they remain wet for long, they tend to give out a musty smell. This makes for an ideal growing condition for the molds.

If you are troubled with mold at home, look no further. We provide expert Mold Toxicity and Mold Allergy Treatment. Simply call us at 843-572-1600 to book an appointment with us.

Mold Related Posts

Also Read – Mold Exposure Health Risks: Can Mold Make You Sick?

Also Read – Can Black Mold Exposure Cause Headaches?

Also Read – Mold & Your Health: Dangers of Black Mold Exposure

Also Read – How Can You Reduce and Prevent Mold Allergy?