Integrative Medicine is an approach to healing which takes into account your mind, body, and spirit while studying all aspects of a patient’s lifestyle. Using an integrated approach by combining conventional medicine with alternative medical approaches, the focus of Integrative Medicine is to facilitate the body’s innate healing response. Where possible every effort is made to use more natural less invasive treatments while utilizing medications when that is the best option for care.
Integrative Medicine neither shuns conventional medicine or blindly accepts alternative medicine. A therapeutic approach and a partnership between patient and practitioner is the objective.
The Principles of Integrative Medicine are:
- A partnership between patient and practitioner in the healing process
- Appropriate use of conventional and alternative methods to facilitate the body’s innate healing response
- Consideration of all factors that influence health, wellness and disease, including mind, spirit and community as well as body
- A philosophy that neither rejects conventional medicine nor accepts alternative therapies uncritically
- Recognition that good medicine should be based in good science, be inquiry driven, and be open to new paradigms
- Use of natural, effective, less-invasive interventions whenever possible
- Use of the broader concepts of promotion of health and the prevention of illness as well as the treatment of disease
- Training of practitioners to be models of health and healing, committed to the process of self-exploration and self-development
Dr. William Weirs is completing certification in Integrative Medicine through the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine. His two year, 1000-hour fellowship program has focused on many areas of treatment including but not limited to:
Botanicals and Dietary Supplements
Complementary and Alternative Practices
Integrative Approaches to major illnesses
Click here to view Dr. Weirs CV.